Thursday, July 16, 2015

Winds out of the North, Families, and Miss Piggy

Here there is a working crane tug on the lake in Burlington, named Miss Piggy. You can see some photos of Miss Piggy in action. The operator backs her up pulling the barge at first, and when the barge clears the docks, Miss Piggy goes around the other side to push the barge.

The strong winds are out of the north again today. I thought they would not be that strong, so I headed out on the pedal kayak today, bringing my swim gear along, just in case. When I got to the point at West of North Beach, I encountered seriously big waves...I have some photos that don't quite convey the size of these guys. I was a little scared. I was afraid to that if I turned around, I would be swamped. I also was afraid I might not be able to control the boat if the propeller and/or rudder were out of the water too much. I made it to calm waters in the lee, and after bailing with a pitcher, I turned the boat and went back. My other fear was that I wouldn't be able to get out of the boat, once at dock, and then wouldn't be able to bring it up to our bigger houseboat. No worries. I did fine,

Oh, and I have been thinking about families a lot. Here is one I saw this morning.





Here are some more photos. Enjoy.














and the kayak is home again!





No comments :

Post a Comment